Minn-LInK Report Brief—Special Topic No. 24, Fall 2015
Authors: Mickelson, N. & Piescher, K.
The purposes of this study were to describe the characteristics and experiences of youth members of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities and evaluate their academic achievement as compared to that of their peers. Outcomes of youth members were evaluated, with particular attention paid to age, Club attendance levels, and Club tenure. This study answered the following research questions:
- What are the characteristics and experiences of youth who participate in the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities?
- How do school attendance and academic proficiency of BGC youth differ by Club tenure, Club
participation, and age?
- Do BGC youth have higher attendance and academic proficiency rates than their peers?
- What characteristics and experiences of BGC youth predict academic proficiency or satisfactory school attendance
- What are the high school graduation and dropout rates for BGC youth?